Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fannie Farmer Boiled Custard

To join in the fun of sharing Vintage Recipes, you just need to go to visit right here JoyOfDesserts . There will be so many great recipes..and you will have such fun..Let's go visiting..
  
Source:
Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook,1918
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 cups scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
yolks 3 eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat eggs slightly,add sugar and salt while adding gradually hot milk.
Cook in double boiler, continue stirring until mixture thickens and a coating is formed on the spoon, strain immediately; chill and flavor.
If cooked too long, the custard will curdle; should this happen, by using an egg beater it may be restored to a smooth consistency, but custard will not be as thick.
Eggs should be beaten slightly for custard, that it may be of smooth, thick consistency.
To prevent scum from forming,cover with a perforated tin.
When eggs are scarce, use yolks two eggs and one-half tablespoon cornstarch.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm.. I LOVE CUSTARD!! I think I'm going to like THIS weekly event, CC!! I just did a quick batch of brownies this morning, while it was still cool. It's been too hot to bake cookies, like I would normally LOVE to do! I'm even resorting to getting my chocolate fix straight out of the store-bought ready-made frosting tubs!! I've got my spoon, and it's good enough for me, while this heat wave keeps on like it has been! Hope you're keeping cool there! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how yummy! I am a big custard fan and this looks like a winner!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the late visit, CC. My computer was not working. I see I've missed a lot of goodies on your blog while I was off-line. Thank you for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday. I love custards. They are on of my many favorite desserts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I do so enjoy each and every message that is left for me. They sorta make each day a "happy dance day", so please, make sure you leave a comment..Just a hi will make my day all better. :) xx